email@example.com Telephone: +3188.8.131.52.77
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
LLB, M. Phil (Master of Philosophy) in European Politics and Society
Christos Galanos was admitted to the Cyprus Bar in 2012 and is a member of the firm's litigation team at the Nicosia office. He focuses on commercial disputes, shareholder litigation, liquidation proceedings and banking and finance law.
The cases he handles usually involve a cross-border element. He has on many occasions successfully obtained interim relief in Cyprus in aid of foreign proceedings or international arbitration. He has also successfully registered and enforced international arbitration awards in Cyprus.
In 2015 and in 2016 Galanos was a speaker at the C5 conference held in London on International Dispute Resolution involving Russian and CIS Parties.
In 2016 he was a candidate (suggested for excellence by the Democratic Rally party) in the Cyprus parliamentary elections.
He speaks Greek, English and French.
The following are some of the cases that Galanos has handled or has actively been involved in:
- Securing an order for the liquidation of a Cypriot debtor company. The case involved a loan of USD 65 million that was granted by a third party and later assigned to the client.
- Providing legal advice on the Cyprus law implications of and requirements for a group restructuring of loans entered into by various legal entities with Cypriot banks. Legal opinions were provided inter alia on the formal requirements for concluding the restructuring agreements, on whether set-offs are recognized under Cyprus law, on conditional agreements under Cyprus law and on the validity of agreements for partial repayment under Cyprus law. The value of the loans in question was approximately EURO 93 million.
- Obtaining a mandatory injunction ordering the secretary of a debtor company to transfer its pledged shares in the client's name. The case concerned a loan of USD 120 million. The previous shareholder then filed a certiorari application to the Supreme Court which was successfully defended and the mandatory injunction that had been issued by the first instance court was ordered to remain in force.
- Applying to have an arbitration award of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce recognized, registered and enforced in Cyprus. The award was against a Cypriot company and awarded the client amounts in excess of $40 million. A freezing order was secured over certain of the debtor company’s assets while the recognition and enforcement proceedings were pending. The case was settled with the award debtor paying the full amount of the award to the client.
- Securing a partial stay of proceedings initiated in Cyprus against the client in breach of an LCIA arbitration clause and the respective referral of such to international arbitration. Galanos subsequently represented the client before the LCIA and is currently representing the company in the remaining ongoing proceedings before the Cypriot Courts.
- Providing legal advice for an international consultancy firm investigating matters pertaining to the Cyprus banking crisis. Advice was provided inter alia on issues relating to banking law, data privacy, Cyprus constitutional rights, legal privilege and criminal procedure.
- Interim injunctions in Cyprus for the freezing of assets and disclosure of documents and information (January 2015)
- Update on the Cyprus Macroeconomic Adjustment Programme (April 2013)