Intellectual Property Department
Commercial activity on the island creates the necessity to offer protection to the Intellectual Property Rights (“IP”) of natural and legal entities in order to validate such activity.
Effective from the 1st January 2012 the IP Tax regime provides attractive opportunities for structuring the exploitation of IP assets through Cyprus, in particular through the use of Cyprus-resident IP owners, especially considering the country’s extensive network of double tax treaties under which foreign withholding taxes on royalty income are either eliminated or substantially reduced. All types of intellectual property, including trademarks, copyright, trade names, patents and registered domain names, are affected by the IP tax regime.
As of May 1st 2004 Cyprus is a proud Member of the European Union. Cyprus legislation has been harmonized in order to bring the Intellectual Property Law into line with the requirements of the acquis communautaire. This means that Cyprus is a member to the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM) for the registration and protection of Trademarks and Industrial Designs within the European Community via a single application.
Our Office has the know-how and applicable expertise to assist with Community, National and International Trademark Applications.
In the case of patents, it is very important for the patents text, to be drafted by individuals that have the experience and knowledge of the the law by implementation in order to avoid any possible rejections. Statistically, a great percentage of the patents get rejected due to poorly drafted patent texts. We are proud to say that we are one of the few law firms in Cyprus that have the experience in drafting and filing international patent applications. Specifically we are the only law firm in Cyprus that has filed PCT ‘s (international patents) in Cyprus from 2012 onwards!
The firm specialises in the following IP sectors:
- Protection of Trademarks in Cyprus;
- Protection of Patents in Cyprus;
- Protection of Industrial Designs;
- Registration and renewal of trademarks (including Community Trademarks), Patents (National, European, and International), Industrial Designs (including European Community Designs);
- Trademark oppositions, cancellations and counterfeiting actions;
- Valuation of IP Rights in Assignments, Mergers or Acquisitions;
- Search and investigation services;
- Trademark watching and infringement services;
- IP arbitration and mediation;
- Litigation of other IP Rights; and
- Counseling on licensing and franchising.
“Our Intellectual Property Department has the expertise and the know-how to advise and assist in all matters concerning intellectual property, including of course geographical indications. For further information please contact Ms. Ermioni Pavlidou at email@example.com or at (+357)22447777.”
The articles relating to the IP department are the following:
- Halloumi Vs Hellim; More than just a trademark battle?
- Trade Marks in Cyprus
- New IP Tax Regime Takes Effect
- Community Trademark Conversion Procedure
- Community Trademark Registration
- EU Trademark Law Reforms
Our firm contributed to the World Trademark Review in the Yearbook 2014/2015. To review the firm's contribution click here.