email@example.com Telephone: +3184.108.40.206.85
Dispute Resolution and Arbitration, Corporate and Commercial, Debt Collection
BSc (Hons) Accounting & Economics, LLB (Hons), Barrister-at-Law
Marina Hadjisoteriou is currently the Head of the Limassol Litigation Department of Michael Kyprianou & Co. LLC.
Marina Hadjisoteriou graduated from Paralimni Lyceum with an Apolyterion (Graduation Certificate) of the highest possible average mark of 20/20 “Excellent” in June 2004.
As a student at Paralimni Lyceum Marina:
- consistently ranked top in her year group and she received the academic excellence award for being the student with the highest average mark achieved for the three years she attended the Lyceum;
- was selected through an essay competition to take part in the H’ Session of the Hellenic Youth Parliament hosted at the Hellenic Parliament in Athens in September 2003;
- was selected following an interview in English and Italian to take part at Euroscola – the European Youth Parliament hosted at the European Parliament in Strasbourg in May 2004.
Marina then obtained a BSc in Accounting & Economics from the University of Southampton with First Class Honours in July 2007. As a student there, she jointly received the “Economic Review Prize Award”.
She then went on to complete the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) in 2008 and the Bar Vocational Course (BVC) in 2009 at the University of Law (incorporating the College of Law), London. On completion of both of these courses, she was also awarded an LLB (Hons).
Marina became a Barrister-at-Law of the Middle Temple in 2009. She was admitted to the Cyprus Bar Association and the Famagusta Bar Association in 2010.
She speaks Greek and English fluently, basic Italian and has undertaken Russian language classes.
Marina is a promising litigator who has been recommended by The European Legal 500 Directory for Dispute Resolution. She regularly liaises with foreign law firms in relation to international disputes.
Some of the most important cases she has been involved in are the following:
- On a number of occasions convinced the Cyprus Courts to issue world-wide mareva orders and obtained interim relief in aid of foreign arbitral procedures on the basis of International Commercial Arbitration Law 101/87;
- Applied successfully to the Cyprus Courts on behalf of international clients and secured disclosure orders against local banks, not parties to the pending foreign proceedings, on the basis of the principles established in the English case of Norwich Pharmacal;
- Applied successfully to the Cyprus Courts on behalf of European and international clients to have registered and recognised foreign judgments and foreign arbitral awards in Cyprus on the basis of the Judgments of Foreign Courts (Recognition, Registration and Enforcement under Statute) Law 121(1)/2000, the European Council Regulation No. 1215/2012 of 12 December 2012 on jurisdiction and the recognition and enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters, the New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards of 1958 which was ratified in Cyprus by Law No. 84/1979 and the International Commercial Arbitration Law No. 101/1987;
- Applied successfully to the Cyprus Courts on behalf of international clients for the liquidation of companies on the basis that the companies were unable to pay their debts;
- Is currently defending a Russian majority shareholder in an application that has been filed for the liquidation of the company by a minority shareholder on the basis that there is oppression of the minority shareholders’ rights.
- Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments and Foreign Arbitral Awards in Cyprus (December 2009);
- Protection of minority shareholders in Cyprus (January 2011);
Interim Orders in Aid of Court or Arbitration Proceedings in Cyprus and Overseas (January 2014).
- International Bar Association’s Annual Conference held at Dubai (November 2011);
- Anti-Money Laundering Seminar organised by Constanteion, the Centre of Criminology and Forensic Sciences (April 2012);
- International Bar Association’s Annual Conference held at Dublin (October 2012);
- Seminar on “Energy & the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ): Economic, Legal and Political Implications” organised by the Law School of Neapolis University Pafos, the Limassol Bar Association and the Limassol Chamber of Commerce & Industry (January 2013);
- International Bar Association’s Annual Conference held at Tokyo (October 2014);
- International Bar Association's Annual Litigation Forum: Meeting the Challenges of Corporate Litigation in a Global Economy held at Paris (April 2015);
- Strategic Management and Planning for Law Firms organised by the Cyprus International Institute of Management (CIIM) (May 2015).
- International Bar Association’s Annual Conference held at Vienna (October 2015).
Marina is an active member of the charitable organisation ActionAid Hellas and took part in one of the volunteer trips in Kenya in July 2014. The goal of the volunteers, working together with the locals, was to expand the water supply project of Kangemi-Mlilo to give access to clean water to the primary school of Paranga village.